Sunday, May 15, 2011

Top o the mornin' to ye

Lately, I've been doing the bulk of my running in the evening; the run usually doubles as my commute from work so that I maximize both the amount of post-work daylight and free time.

It's been working pretty well. A couple of weeks ago though, I decided it was time to mix things up and add some sunrise running to the schedule. Sunrise is right around 5:30am in southeastern New England this time of year, thankfully getting earlier and earlier as the spring progresses. For me, it's the perfect opportunity to squeeze in 5 or 6 miles before work; it's hands-down, my absolute favorite time of day to run.

But why? you may be asking. Why the heck would I want to get up that early if I don't have to? There are so many reasons to run at sunrise, especially in springtime. Here are a few of the reasons I do it:

1) Sunrise is breathtakingly beautiful. If, like me, you live in a place with a dreadful climate, you're more likely to appreciate the sun actually rising. Don't miss it.

2) It sets the tone for the day. The word endorphin is just a euphemism for a feeling of superiority over everyone else who didn't get up at 5am to work out. Think about it.

3) Less traffic. This is great for so many reasons. Less traffic means less smelly car exhaust, less waiting for walk signals at major intersections, less obnoxious, impatient drivers. It also means less pedestrian traffic, less people cluelessly waddling into your path, and less people standing around smoking.

4) The air smells better. See #3. Listen up smokers, if I have to smell your cigarette, you have to smell my armpit. Deal?

5) The evening feels longer. This is great, because you'll be passed out on the couch by 9:30....to do it all over again!


Recommended reading: Go the Distance: Recent studies are shattering the myth that life span is predetermined by genetics. The latest bombshell: your morning run could be the fountain of youth. [Outside Online]

1 comment: