Saturday, June 4, 2011

If at first you don't succeed...

I've only just now realized that I haven't written in a couple weeks; this is partly because I've had an irregular and unpredictable work schedule, and partly because some of my recent long runs have been rather disappointing, and thus I'm using avoidance as a coping mechanism.

Last weekend, I was totally geared up to run a half-marathon distance. I carefully planned the route, which began at Kenmore Square in Boston and followed Beacon Street through the neighborhoods of Brookline and Newton with some strategically-placed hills and enough beautiful Victorian architecture to keep my eyes occupied for 2+ hours.

I did not, however, carefully plan for the day's oppressive humidity. The run was awful, and was awful from the very beginning. I was drenched in sweat by mile 2, and by mile 4 I felt as if I was wearing lead sneakers. I considered stopping at Whole Foods at around the halfway point, mostly to enjoy some air conditioning for a few seconds, but I pressed on. At mile 7, I started feeling some nausea and my lead sneakers now had cinder blocks attached to them. I also started to get a side stitch from drinking too much water; I know this because my Camelbak supply was depleted around mile 7.5. The thought of running 6 more miles filled me with a mixture of dread and sadness and frustration that is hard for me to explain because at the time I didn't even quite understand it myself. I reluctantly slowed to a brisk walk for a half-mile or so, and finished with a total of 12.7 miles doing a run/walk for the last bit (0.5 mile run, 0.5 mile walk). It was thoroughly miserable, and I spent the remainder of the day doing absolutely nothing, wallowing in self-pity and defeat.

It was pathetic, really. Here I am, in perfect health with a fully-functioning physique, and I'm obsessing about one run that didn't quite go as planned. I desperately needed some perspective. I turned to the Interwebs, and found what I was looking for in a few blogs I read regularly (and that I would recommend to others!):

Maine Runner recently completed a 50-mile trail race, even finishing with a PR. He describes the entire experience in detail, and while I have little desire to become an ultrarunner, he somehow makes it seem pretty appealing, with my weekend 13-miler looking like a brisk warm-up.

Hot Child in and Around the City (my friend Jillian) talks about motivation and keeping spirits high, which was exactly what I needed to hear after my hellish half-marathon attempt. Jillian's enthusiasm for running (and life in general, for that matter) is off the charts; reading her blog is sometimes all I need to get out the door again.

Running and Cupcakes (my friend Samantha) had a particularly unsuccessful 18-miler attempt only to come back a week later with a stronger resolve—and a brand new pair of sneakers—to bring it home. Also: is that not an adorable name for a running blog?

Of course, the possibility of using some of recently-acquired birthday money to treat myself to a pair of New Balance WT10 minimalist trail runners really started to cheer me up. Alright, running: I'm ready to try, try again.

3 comments:

  1. Gotta love summer in New England (even tho it's not quite summer yet!). You've inspired me for so long through the beginning of my running journey - I'm glad I could turn it around for you!

    Good luck V - you've SO GOT THIS. If you can travel somewhere with better weather on this hot/humid days, I totally recommend it. I ran in Narragansett for my 18-miler (I know, way far for you LOL) - where it was 70+, humid, and sunny at my house, it was 64, still humid, but with a nice ocean breeze there!

    P.S. Thanks for the props - glad you like my blog name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey V!

    I will be the first to admit that marathon training in the summer SUCKS! Humidity will always win the distance-running battle, hands-down. My advice would be to try again next weekend, start earlier in the morning if possible (say 7am-ish), and if the humidity is predicted to be high, then factor in some 1-min walk breaks for every 15-20min of running. When I hit the wall during the Philly Marathon last year at mile 16, this is exactly what I did & my pace actually increased a bit & I was able to finish the last 200meters of the race in a sprint! I promise, if you try this, you will feel absolutely wonderful after! Good Luck!!

    --MR :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Just got back from my Warrior class, made some protein pancakes and coffee and was excited to sit down and catch up on some of the blogs I follow. I was shocked when I saw your shout out. And fine, I'll admit it...I may have cried. Running and this entire journey in general are emotional for me. I cried when I went to my first marathon and I cry when I envision myself crossing the finish line next April...I'm such a baby! You inspire me on a daily basis so I was floored to read that I help get you out the door. I ran in the humidity of New Orleans last week and it single handedly changed my mind about participating in the Providence 1/2 marathon on August 7th. I'm taking the full 12 weeks to prepare and will run one in September.

    ReplyDelete