Thursday, June 30, 2011

They didn't promise me a rose garden

In the past couple months, a handful of people have asked me the inevitable question: am I training for something?

I guess a gal can't run 12 miles at 6am on a Saturday for no particular reason. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?

But to answer the question. Yes, I'm signed up to run the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, D.C. in October. I've been fairly tight-lipped because I'm uncomfortable talking up a storm about something that I haven't actually accomplished. Some well-meaning acquaintances and friends have even offered their congratulations, which I don't feel I deserve. I do, however, feel humbled by the distance, the intensity, and the months of training and preparation, both mental and physical, that I'm putting myself through.

To paraphrase a quote from the late mountaineer George Mallory, I want to run the marathon because it's there for me to run. In other words, I want to live before I die. With that said, I'd like to avoid dying during the marathon; hence the humility.

I'm doing all this for a very worthy charity, the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation. A little more info, from their website:
The Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation was founded in 1962. Their mission is to provide financial assistance in the form of scholarships for higher education to deserving sons and daughters of Marines and children of former Marines, with particular attention being given to children whose parent was killed or wounded in action. They are proud of their long history and commitment: Since 1962, they have awarded over 25,000 scholarships valued at $60 million, including $4.25 million in scholarships to over 1,400 students in 2010.
Come on, it's for the kids. The kids! To help out, visit my personal donation page. Your donation will certainly mean a lot to me, and will help me stay motivated as I attempt my own Mount Everest.

Thanks, and oohrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment