Tonight, my running (and blogging and cooking...multitalented, that one!) friend Samantha posted a link to an article on Twitter, which was a brief what-not-to-wear list of items inappropriate for the gym.
Not content to leave well enough alone, and dismayed by the dawn of another fall season in which Ugg boots have not yet gone out of style, I am in an ideal mood to create my own short list of gym-fashion pet peeves.
1. Off-the-shoulder tops. Lately, I've seen a few people in the city running with full-on Flashdance-inspired ensembles, which look fussy and self-conscious. Cute athletic wear exists, and it's not found at Forever 21.
2. Ed Hardy. I think Ed Hardy clothing should be like smoking cigarettes: illegal in public buildings and generally frowned upon as hazardous to one's health and the health of those around them.
3. Wife beaters. I know, it's an awful slang term for the humble Hanes "A-shirt," but if there was ever a shirt that was flattering on absolutely no one, it's this one.
4. TapouT. (No, that's really how they spell it! And you thought they couldn't get any cheesier!) If Ed Hardy is worn by douchebags, TapouT is worn by douchebags who are really into MMA. It's a subtle distinction.
5. Inappropriate footwear. Skateboarding sneakers are for skateboarding. Basketball sneakers are for basketball. Workboots are for work. You see where I'm going with this?
What would YOU add to this list?
Recommended reading: What Not to Wear to the Gym [ChaCha]