Monday, January 9, 2012

I heart hills

Ah, hills. Ever since I started this whole running-for-enjoyment thing, I've noticed something: Hills are not so popular with other runners.

But hills are important! And necessary! A good hill will suck the wind right out of your puny little lungs, and force battery acid through your quads and calves. You might even shed a tear. Never will complete and utter misery feel so wonderful.

During my training for last fall's marathon, I spent a lot of time running long in the famous hills of Newton, Massachusetts (think Heartbreak and thereabouts). It was there that I learned to love steady, unrelenting inclines.

No doubt part of this came from a sense of humility I get from running what I see as hallowed ground—the Boston Marathon route. But even now, months later, I find myself adding hills to my regular runs just for "fun." Lest you think I'm nuts, trust me; when it comes to fun, it's all relative.

So, I've decided that once a month, I will feature a hill in the greater Boston area that I've endured and conquered, and rate it using my own proprietary misery meter (with 1 being a piece o' cake and 5 being full-out suffering).

Hill #1: Common Street, on the Watertown/Belmont line [map]

Start at the intersection of Common and Orchard streets in Watertown, and head northeast toward Belmont Street.

This section is a deceptively difficult four-tenths of a mile. There's a brief reprieve around 0.2 miles, which is little more than a cruel joke—you're only halfway!

If you're feeling ambitious, turn around when you reach Belmont Street and run this hill in the opposite direction; mere mortals, you may wish to continue one block to Trapelo Road, bang a left, and pay a visit to the Starbucks near the corner.

V's Misery Rating: 2 (Translation: "Oh, quit your whining.")


Have a recommendation for a killer hill? I'm your guinea pig. Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite (but dreaded hills) is in Natick before the intersection of Rt. 27 and 135. It starts at North Ave and heads up Walnut Street to the crest (before Belvedere). It is maybe a half mile, but it is a half mile of increasingly difficult pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dirt track up the north side of Peters Hill in the Arnold Arboretum will make you cry for mama. Be prepared to turn it up to eleven on your little chart, earthling.

    ReplyDelete